INTERNET TIPS AND TRICKS
When typing an Internet address you do not need to type http:// or even www. in the address. For example, if you wanted to visit DESC Computers you could just type desccomputers.com.au and press enter. To make things even quicker, if you’re visiting a .com address you can type desccomputers and then press Ctrl + Enter to type out the full website address http://www.desccomputers.com.au
QUICKLY MOVE BETWEEN THE FIELDS OF A WEB PAGE
If you’re filling out an online form, email, or other text field you can quickly move between each of the fields by pressing the Tab key or Shift + Tab to move back a field. For example, if you’re filling out your name and the next field is your e-mail address you can press the Tab key to switch to the e-mail field.
Tip: If you have a drop-down box that lists every country or every state you can click that box and then press the letter of the state or country you’re looking for. For example, is a drop-down box of States in the Australia you could press v on the keyboard to quickly scroll to Victoria.
USE INTERNET SEARCH ENGINES TO THEIR FULL POTENTIAL
Make sure to get the most out of every search result. If you’re not finding what you want try surrounding the text in quotes. For example, if you were searching for ‘computer help’ this actually searches for pages that contain both computer and help and not necessarily pages that have computer and help next to each other. If you search for “computer help” with the quotes around the search query this will only return pages that actually have computer and help next to each other.
Tip: Many computer users also don’t realize that in every search box you can press enter instead of having to move the mouse button over to the Search button.
TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR SCREEN / SNIPPING TOOL
Capture the image that is currently on your computer screen. This is very handy if you need that image that is there, but it won’t allow you to save the image or the image comes in 3 or 4 different sections. Or you want to show someone something who does not have access to the internet.
- To do a screen print, look for a key on your keyboard that says Prt Scr or Print Scrn
- Open either Microsoft Word or Microsoft Paint
- Press Crtl+V to paste it into the document
- Save the file
If you are running Windows 7/8/8.1/10 there is now a very smart tool that we all love to use. Its called “Snipping Tool”
Here all you need to do is click on the tool and your screen will go “furry white”. Place a box around the item that you want the screen shot of (left click and hold at the top left side and drag to the bottom right side) and it will go straight into the snipping tool box where you can then save it as a picture OR right click on the picture and paste it straight into a word document or an email. Best invention by Windows yet!
COMPUTER MOUSE TIPS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW
TAKE FULL ADVANTAGE OF THE SCROLL WHEEL
Today, everyone is fully aware of a mouse wheels ability to scroll up and down on a page. However, this wheel can also do so much more, as shown below.
- The mouse wheel is not just a wheel, it can also be used as a button. Pressing down on the wheel will act like a third mouse button. This can be used to open a web page in a tab by clicking the wheel on any link and can also be used to close a tab by clicking the wheel on any open tab.
- Quickly Zoom in and Out on a web page, word document, excel spreadsheet, etc. by holding down the Ctrl key and scrolling up to zoom in and down to zoom out.
SELECT WITH DOUBLE AND TRIPLE CLICK
Any word can be selected by double-clicking the word. If you want to highlight the whole paragraph, click the mouse button three times on any text in the paragraph. Then use the right-click to highlight what you copied
Below is a listing of all the major shortcut key.
|Alt + Home||Go to home page.|
|Alt + Left Arrow||Back a page.|
|Backspace||Back a page.|
|Alt + Right Arrow||Forward a page.|
|F5||Refresh current page, frame, or tab.|
|F11||Display the current website in full screen mode. Pressing F11 again will exit this mode.|
|Esc||Stop page or download from loading.|
|Ctrl + (- or +)||Increase or decrease the font size, pressing ‘-‘ will decrease and ‘+’ will increase.|
|Ctrl + Enter||Quickly complete an address. For example, type desccomputers in the address bar and press CTRL + ENTER to get http://www.desccomputers.com.au|
|Shift + Enter||Complete a .net instead of a .com address.|
|Ctrl + Shift + Enter||Complete a .org address.|
|Ctrl + Shift + Del||Open the Clear Data window to quickly clear private data.|
|Ctrl + D||Add a bookmark for the page currently opened.|
|Ctrl + I||Display available bookmarks.|
|Ctrl + J||Display the download window.|
|Ctrl + N||Open New browser window.|
|Ctrl + P||Print current page or frame.|
|Ctrl + T||Opens a new tab.|
|Ctrl + F4 or Ctrl + W||Closes the currently selected tab.|
|Ctrl + Shift + T||Undo the close of a window.|
|Ctrl + Tab||Moves through each of the open tabs.|
|Spacebar||Moves down a page at a time.|
|Shift + Spacebar||Moves up a page at a time.|
|Alt + Down arrow||Display all previous text entered in a text box and available options on drop down menu.|
MULTIPLE EMAIL ADDRESS FOR ONE EMAIL
(one email to 20 people)
How many times have you sent the same email off to many different people, one by one. There is a way of cutting down your time by sending it to more people at once.
- Open the email that you wish to send to people
- Click TO and highlight the persons name that you wish to send it to and click the TO-> button. Do this over and over adding all the people that you wish to send it to.
- REMEMBER: all the people that you add in that list will be able to see everyone else’s email addresses as well. The best way to avoid this happening is instead of cling TO-> click the BCC-> (Blind Carbon Copy) The only thing that the recipient will see is YOUR email address.
- Also – this is a personal thing that we at DESC Computers don’t ever do. When FORWARDING an email, try to remember to delete all the information from the person that sent the email to you. You know what it is like; you get an email that has one million on OTHER people’s email address then you FINALLY get the joke etc… these things CAN be deleted
HOW TO USE MALWAREBYTES ANTI MALWARE
Easy to install. Easy to use. Tough to beat.
Simply download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. This will open in another browser window. Double click the downloaded file to install the application on your computer. Once installed, double click on the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware icon to start the program.
When the application is open, select Scan and the application will guide you through the remaining steps. A hint though – if it asks you to restart your machine, please do so. If your busy doing something, just leave it sit there in the background and restart it through Malwarebytes as soon as you can.